Click Here for Cutting Edge Fitness

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gooey Chocolate Chip Muffins



Can the gooey chocolate chip muffins overtake the pumpkin pie bars and my new heavenly treat?

Maybe........Just Maybe........

I got the recipe thanks to my lovely wife who bought me the precision nutrition cookbook a while back when I was feeling blue. She has been eating healthy and delicious ever since.
You can get the cookbook at Perform Better. Just type "gourmet nutrition" in the search for field.

Ingredients (I modified a few things due to my available ingredients)

1/4 cup unsalted butter (if not using unsweetened applesauce, use 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce (this helps to cut down the fat a bit)
1 cup of egg whites from the carton (4 whole omega 3 eggs in recipe)
1/4 cup skim milk (recipe asks for coconut milk)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
6 scoops Chocolate protein powder (i love the syntha 6)
1 tbsp dark chocolate or chocolate cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp splenda
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried fruit chopped (I ended up buying a package of dried fruit that had dark chocolate pieces, raspberries, cranberries and almonds and chopped it all up)

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Put all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and stir (I used a fork cause a wooden spoon was quite the workout! This stuff is gooey!) Lightly coat a mini muffin pan with cooking spray and fill each muffin tin. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are set.

What I did next helps with the gooeyness of the muffins. I placed them in a container with a sealed lid and put them in the fridge. This helped some of the condensation to go back into the muffins. Sooooo Yummy!

I sprinkled a little coconut on top before I baked some of them, up to you though. Makes 40 muffins.
Calories 70
Fat 2g
Carb 8g
Protein 4 grams
Great for a pre/post workout snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kettlebell Training in the Nashville News