Click Here for Cutting Edge Fitness

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Eating better but staying full

  • Eating better but staying full

    One of the big problems I have been faced with is being able to control my food portions throughout the day. If I do a bad job and don’t eat enough, then by the time I get home I am STARVING! What I end up doing next is overeating during my dinner meal and thus the reason I am having trouble getting to my ideal weight. This also brought up another problem people are faced with is staying full with the smaller portioned meals that they eat during the day and have the same starving feeling the time they get home for dinner.

    I just recently read a great article online by a gentleman named Chris Shugart. He gives a great solution to my problem. He states that the problem we face is that the foods we eat are high calorie and low volume foods. So we are putting calories in our system but they are not satisfying our hunger. He suggests “volumize your food” (eat more low-calorie and high volume foods in our diets). Then we will be full more and hungry less and also less likely to eat too much at the end of our day (he calls it “making us full but not fat”).

    Some ideas or substitutions he suggests when baking and preparing meals:
  • Olive oil and almonds are high in calories and fats, BUT they provide very important omega-3s to your diet. Use them sparingly in your diet.
  • Replace white flour with whole grain flour. Healthier and adds much needed fiber to our diet.
  • Replace sugar with sucralose (splenda). Saves a ton of calories!
  • Replace oil with unsweetened apple sauce. Another HUGE calorie saver can be used for brownies, pancakes, muffins and most baked goods.
  • Eggs: Replace with some or all egg whites. (there are omega-3s in egg yolks as well, but this will help to reduce some of your calories in your recipes)
  • For burgers, mix lean ground turkey and/or veggies with your ground beef
  • For spaghetti, cut out half the pasta and replace with vegetables
  • Instead of adding butter, bananas, syrup, peanut butter or other calorie-dense ingredients to recipes, use calorie free extracts or imitation flavorings.

    I will try to do my best over the next few months to begin providing recipes with this new “volumized” replacement method and show the difference made in calories and healthy additions made to the “modified recipes”.

1 comment:

  1. I love to volumize my food! isn't it fun to trick your body? oh, just for your info olive oil and almonds aren't really rich sources of omega 3s (polunsaturated fats, although they do have some) whereas they are more rich in monounsaturated fats (also good for your health)
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=110
    keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Kettlebell Training in the Nashville News